[Foundation-l] New project proposal: Soviet Repressions Memorial

Kurt Maxwell Weber kmw at outwardhosting.com
Wed Dec 24 17:22:17 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 24 December 2008 11:02, David Gerard wrote:

> Yes. However, it could be a valuable wiki to create privately. Generic
> hosting is (a) really cheap (b) often includes MediaWiki out the box.
> The wiki is unlikely to be vastly overloaded, so cheap hosting would
> do for a start.
>
> See http://www.sep11memories.org/wiki/In_Memoriam for a memorial
> project for victims of the World Trade Center attack, for example.
>
> Although started with a strong POV, such a project could nevertheless
> accumulate material of high quality historical and scholarly interest.

I still don't see how it's outside the WMF's scope, nor do I see how
presenting a strong POV is necessarily bad.

The WMF's mission is essentially educational, correct?  And I submit that to
be truly educated about such an event as this, one needs to see perhaps a
more emotional presentation, to truly understand what it actually did to
people.

One would not say that the Holocaust Museum in Washington, D.C., is
non-educational, though it presents a strong POV and is focused more on
presenting the human effects of the Holocaust than simple factual
information.  This is basically the same thing.  It fulfills an essential
part of the Foundation's educational mission that to now has been neglected.

--
Kurt Weber
http://blog.kurtweber.us