[Foundation-l] Britannica became free

Tim Starling tstarling at wikimedia.org
Tue Dec 23 01:50:26 UTC 2008

David Goodman wrote:
> Upsell is the name of the leading market research company in
> publishing--probably they are the ones who designed it. I'm suprised,
> for they are generally known as competent.

No, that would be upsell as in:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Up-selling

I'd give you a Britannica reference for that as well, but they don't have it.

They call the box that pops up the upsell, as in

 activities: {hideUpsells: "", hideAds: "false", showDivType: ""},

It's also referred to as annoyware:

 Darwin.Upsell.init(_config.userDataConfig.annoywareConfig);

The company responsible would be:

 var mboxCopyright = "Copyright 2004-2007 Offermatica (tm) Corporation";

a.k.a. http://www.omniture.com/

-- Tim Starling