[Foundation-l] Britannica became free

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 22:44:25 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 5:38 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
> (A tangential note: I consider NPOV to be our most important
> innovation - much more radical than merely letting anyone edit your
> encyclopedia. The concept of "neutrality" has existed in various
> guises, but not like Wikipedia does it, with the consequences it has
> as a source of information for the world.)

Full agreement.

My view on WP innovations:

(1) NPOV information resource.
(2) Website with a permanent historical record (we're not the first,
but the first popular).
(3) Large scale free-content useful reference.
(4) Website anyone can edit.

There are all sorts of interdependencies between these and other
differentiators— It's easy to argue that without (4) the rest wouldn't
be possible… but in terms of the lasting impact on society and our own
uniqueness I think those are ordered about right.