[Foundation-l] Britannica became free

Tim Starling tstarling at wikimedia.org
Mon Dec 22 03:14:45 UTC 2008

Milos Rancic wrote:
> If I understood well, the content of the online edition of Britannica
> became free (as in "free beer", of course). They are putting some
> irritating screen with recommendation to buy access to their edition
> every 10 seconds (or so), but, in fact, it is possible to copy-paste
> the content somewhere else and read it. Hm. Wikipedia doesn't have
> that irritating screen. (OK, banner is irritating, but it is not of
> that kind ;) )
>
> Does anyone have some more informations about it? Also, may someone
> (who owns some newer edition of Britannica: paper or electronic)
> check, let's say, this link [1] and confirm that this is the complete
> article.
>
> [1] - http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/268173/Hittite-language

I checked a larger biography, and it looked complete to me. Note that it
uses ajax to load article sections as you scroll to them, so you have to
scroll up and down the page to trigger all the ajax loads before you can
copy the text out.

The following Firefox bookmarklet may be useful:

javascript:(function(){Darwin.Upsell.deactivate();})()

Put it in a bookmark in your toolbar and click it to get rid of the
annoying box. It doesn't come back until you go to another page.

-- Tim Starling