[Foundation-l] Fwd: Donating/offering domain wikipedia.ro for use

Foundation-l list admin foundation-l-owner at lists.wikimedia.org
Mon Dec 15 09:03:15 UTC 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Strainu <strainu10 at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 4:45 PM
Subject: Donating/offering domain wikipedia.ro for use
To: foundation-l-owner at lists.wikimedia.org

Hi,

I'm ro:Utilizator:Strainu. I would like to forward here an email sent
on wikitech-l by a colleague, as I think it's more appropriate to post
it here.

Short background: the ro.wp community obtained use of the wikipedia.ro
domain and we were discussing the options about what to do with it.
The original messages can be seen at:

http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2008-November/040285.html
(and the following)

http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2008-December/040554.html
(the message below)

> In that context, I have a couple of questions for the list:

> 1. Can we use the Wikipedia trademark in the absence of a local chapter?
> We'd obviously abide by the same principles as Wikipedia (no ads,
> Wikipedia-centric content, collaborative management by the ro.wiki
> community), but I don't want to risk the odd legal trouble over such a
> minor issue.

> 2. Is there any framework available for collaborative development that
> we can use? We could probably open a Sourceforge project, but I'd rather
> keep things in house if possible (and I have no intention of setting up
> repositories and interfaces for this purpose on my own).

> Thank you,
> Gutza

Best Regards,
 Strainu