[Foundation-l] and what if...

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Dec 15 06:55:40 UTC 2008

Todd Allen wrote:
> Yes, all states have laws. It is the content of those laws which
> determines whether or not the state is a free and open society. One
> may have a free and open society that is not an anarchy.
>
> Prior-restraint censorship, or blocking people from seeing,
> discussing, and thinking about (as opposed to performing) potentially
> harmful actions make that answer a "no".

I cringe when I hear that an application has been made to the courts in
India to block Google Earth because the perpetrators of the Mumbai
attacks used Google Earth in planning those attacks.  Most uses of such
a service remain perfectly innocent and productive, and submitting to
paranoid police mentality can be more harmful than most of the dangers
the police pretends to prevent.

Ec