[Foundation-l] board minutes

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 15:44:06 UTC 2008

2008/12/14 Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org>:
> On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 5:49 AM, effe iets anders
> <effeietsanders at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> From Sue's report, I understood that the current practice is to have board
>> minutes approved only on the next board meeting. In practice that means a
>> delay of several months. In a quickly changing world as ours, that is quite
>> a long time span.
>>

> That's a fairly standard practice.  How would you approve the minutes
> without holding a meeting?  (Sure, you could do it using a unanimous consent
> resolution, but that's certainly not typical.)

It's also not typical to have a large group of very committed and
interested volunteers wanting to know what's going on. Approving the
minutes by email would seem perfectly practical to me.

> Publishing a draft of the minutes (or an informal summary of the meeting)
> would be one thing.  Approving the official minutes is quite another.
>
> Are the meetings considered confidential?  If not, there's nothing stopping
> any board member from providing a summary at any time.  If so, well, then
> why publish the minutes in the first place?

It may not be wise to publish unapproved minutes - if there are
mistakes, the consequences could be rather unfortunate.