[Foundation-l] and what if...

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 01:25:17 UTC 2008

Florence Devouard wrote:
> Birgitte SB wrote:
>
>> I am strongly against collaborating with Westernish governments to help make their censorship more effective. I personally don't think we should help anyone make their censorship more effective.  But if we are to decide we would rather have citizens under censorship able to participate with censorship rather than not participate at all, we should not discriminate with which governments we are willing to help.
>>
>> Personally I don't get censorship, nor the complacency Europeans generally have about living under it.  I don't get it but I can recognize that many other people see it differently and may want to support censorship.  But we can't pick and choose which government's censorship we will support.  This is an international organization and nothing in mission expresses support for western mores over others.  Selectively helping some governments censor would be a disastrous move for WMF to make.
>>
>> Birgitte SB
>>

> Hello
>
> I did not mean to suggest we should  collaborate with whatever
> government. I meant that we could maybe learnt from what happenned and
> think about scenarios for different futures, and prepare ourselves for
> these different futures.
>
> Ant

To say again what I already noted in another posting but in
other words; I really think planning like this should be done
at board level and in private, not at the mailing list which
any troll can participate in and get silly ideas from.

Yours,

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen

P.S. Yes I realize I am here advocating lack of transparency,
but this is just one of those legitimate cases where such
lack of transparency is not merely excusable, but a sine qua
non.