[Foundation-l] "wiki (usability) summer" - like google summer of code?

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 18:01:20 UTC 2008

Hoi,
When you consider that the WMF and its projects have not benefited from
Betawiki and its functionality, then you prove again for how little
internationalisation and localisation count within MediaWiki development.
Consistently you will find Siebrand or Nikerabbit as top developers for
creating MediaWiki patches. When you exclude Betawiki from what "we" are
about.... really sad.

MediaWiki development is not only development within the Wikimedia
Foundation. There have been several projects that should have benefited the
WMF projects but did not. There was a presentation on usability at Wikimania
Boston and in Alexandria and none of the lessons learned materialised in
"our" code.

Let me be clear, I am happy that SUL finally materialised and with 430 users
active under my global account, I benefit from it a lot. However, the
functionality it provides is minimal. It does not allow me to share many of
my preferences. It works, it is great but it could be so much more. There
are always "good" reasons why thing are like they are. Given that we under
invested last year relative to the budget, I am amazed by what has been
done, however I am not satisfied with the results.

As to experience as a developer, I have some 20 years of experience as a
consultant. I have seen some great projects and some really bad ones. There
have been over time several publications that inform how many projects have
gone bad. With 50% I am being nice.
Thanks,
     GerardM