[Foundation-l] "wiki (usability) summer" - like google summer of code?

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 16:37:09 UTC 2008

Hoi,
Last year Nikerabbit was enrolled in a Finnish Summer of Code project. He
did a ton of great work for Betawiki as part of this project. The Liquid
Threads project was a GSOC project. It is used by the WikiEducator project
and as such I would rate it successful.

When you look at our own bigger projects, SUL took a crazy amount of time to
materialise, we are still not able to produce predictable data dumps. When
you look at commercial projects, at least 50% of such projects fail to meet
expectations. The notion that classical "in the office" projects do better
is not one I share.

When we are to do a proper job for summer of code projects, obviously all
our existing developers are most likely to do the better job. Nikerabbit's
project is a case in point. If there are observations why such a project
does not work out as well as we hope, we should address those issues. The
most important thing achieved with a summer of code project is not only the
software but also the experience given to what we hope will be a developer
who stays with our project after his project.
Thanks,
       GerardM