[Foundation-l] Regarding the one million dollar usability grant and already extant but unused extensions

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 16:28:26 UTC 2008

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 5:06 PM, Gerard Meijssen
<gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> It is a question in the wrong order, the first question should be do you
> think that the WMF projects will benefit from this. The second question
> would be what does it take to make this happen. Wikia has had much more
> incentive to concentrate on usability. It has many wikis that demonstrate
> the effectiveness of their changes. Like the UNICEF extensions they are
> based on a need and on observation.
>
> When you ask will it be "easy", it is likely that you will find that it is
> hard work and that several hard issues need to be resolved. The good news is
> that this can be done together with Wikia and or UNICEF. *That* would make
> the grant go that much further

I would just like to know how hard is it to implement. Usually, all
significant technical issues related to WMF MW installations have
significant technical problems. This is especially true whenever we
are talking about MW Parser. But, if the second largest MW host
implemented it, it gives to me a hope that it is possible.

Knowing that it is based on FCKeditor, and knowing how it works
(including a possibility to switch to wiki markup), it would be really
great to see it on WMF sites (even I am not one of those who would
benefit from it because it is easier to me to type ''...'' instead of
CTRL+I...CTRL+I).