[Foundation-l] Sexual images of questionable provenance

Robert Rohde rarohde at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 16:10:38 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 7:22 AM, David Moran <fordmadoxfraud at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't think it's helpful or useful to classify images that aren't
> currently being used in an article somewhere as second class, or more
> readily deletable.  There are, I think it safe to say, TONS of images on
> Commons that aren't being used anywhere.  So what if we have male nudes far
> in excess of what would ever need to be used in one article?  The point of
> commons isn't as a hosting substitute for Wikipedia's article, it is as a
> repository of free images.  For most purposes, people will only need one
> image out of a group, but offering a variety from which they can choose can
> only be beneficial.
>
> If the free-ness of an image can be reasonably disputed, fine, go ahead and
> delete it, but don't start setting up separate standards for deletion based
> on an image's use.

Considerations of personal privacy don't apply to pictures of fruit or
airplanes.  Images of identifiable people posing are intrinsically
different and deserve to be treated with greater sceptism.

If you don't like a use standard, I'd be happy to accept an OTRS
standard for identifiable nudes, but I do think we need to recognize
that not all images have equal impact.  Is it useful to have 500
poorly documented pictures of naked women, maybe.  Is it harmful to
have 1 image inappropriately uploaded by an angry ex-boyfriend,
absolutely.  If we can help prevent the latter circumstance by
reducing the number of poorly documented (and often unused) nude
photos on Commons, then I am all for it, regardless of how you want to
approach it.

Perhaps because I suggested "use" as a limitation, you misunderstood
my goal.  My intent is to prevent the misuse of Commons to store and
distribute images inappropriately, by which I mean images not
authorized for distribution by all the parties involved.  This is an
area where I think we would lose little if we removed images we aren't
using (speculations about sex manuals notwithstanding), but if you
want to take different steps to minimize inappropriate use then by all
means suggest what they should be.

-Robert Rohde