[Foundation-l] Regarding the one million dollar usability grant and already extant but unused extensions

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 09:51:47 UTC 2008

Hoi,
Many organisations use MediaWiki, many organisations use all kinds of
extensions to make MediaWiki more usable. Extensions do not necessarily work
for stable releases. This is why extension testing is important for us all.
Extensions are used in many languages this is why internationalisation and
localisation is important to us all. The lack of usability affects all
current MediaWiki installations now, and it is for this reason that people
are looking for any and all improvements that make a difference.

I had a look at the Wikia work and I love it. It indeed makes a difference.
How can all this work be leveraged in a more inclusive way. Wikia has
invested in usability, so did UNICEF. Because of a lack of cooperation, of
sharing the benefits of Open Source do not materialise. With the Wikimedia
Foundation receiving much money, we will either find another separate
project or a more inclusive project.

By cooperating with the people who have been working on usability the return
on the investment can be improved. I urge everyone to cooperate because the
alternative is a big waste of effort and money. Too much money and effort
have already been wasted. I know that Wikia has been working on WYSIWYG but
given that they operate their own repository it is not clear if and how we
can cooperate.

This cooperation can extend to the testing of extensions, localisation and
internationalisation... You know, usability and cooperation is needed now.

Thanks,
      GerardM