[Foundation-l] Fwd: [Commons-l] Making Wikimedia Commons less frightening

Christiano Moreschi moreschiwikiman at hotmail.co.uk
Sat Dec 6 22:03:29 UTC 2008

Civility much, Mark?

Snark apart, the basic problem with commons isn't the people (although they don't help), it's the software. MediaWiki is just not terribly well suited to this sort of thing. Categorisation is problematic. On encyclopedia projects this isn't the end of the world, because there's a search button and wikilinks to find your way to other articles: it's not a killer that en's categorisation sucks (and probably everyone else's catting too).

But on a project like commons it's the end.

CM

Odi profanum vulgus et arceo.