[Foundation-l] Regarding the one million dollar usability grant and already extant but unused extensions

Brian Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu
Sat Dec 6 03:06:40 UTC 2008

Thank you Erik!
But I do not believe the potential scope of these two extensions has been
appropriately realized by the powers that be, otherwise the technologies
would have been put to a large scale trial sooner. It is not just about the
facts contained in template data. With these extensions more advanced wiki
users can design information architectures that abstract away all of the
complicated syntax.

Isn't that what this is about? WYSIWYG can only do so much unless you plan
to re-implement the parser in javascript.

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 7:59 PM, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> 2008/12/5 Brian <Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu>:
> > Semantic Mediawiki and Semantic Forms are already high quality mediawiki
> > extensions that go along way towards usability and quality issues. They
> are
> > also free.
>
> Hi Brian,
>
> an "environmental scan" of available technologies is part of the
> project plan. We're well-aware of SMW and SMF - in fact we used a
> screenshot of SMF in the grant proposal to illustrate easier editing
> of template data. We'll definitely examine it as a potential building
> block, and we'll share our thinking throughout the project.
> --
> Erik Möller
> Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

(Not sent from my iPhone)