[Foundation-l] Fw: Why we should use the community draft of the language proposal policy

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 12:12:24 UTC 2008

Hoi,
I disagree that there is consensus on the many things that are in the
proposed policy. Pathoschild is completely correct that the current policy
has as its main advantage that voting is no longer done. Given that
languages are also checked to be that language before permission from the
board is asked, it is now less likely that a project goes rogue.

The policy as it was originally formulated allowed for constructed based on
discussion within the language committee. There are several members in the
language committee that are completely against them and object to for
instance the inclusion of a working Wikipedia project like the one for the
Lingua Franca Nova. This is in my opinion a pity. As to natural languages
that have gone extinct, I would not object when it is clear in the meta data
of the text that the text is not as original written in such a language.. a
code like grc-x-modern would allow for this. The same objection exists
however for this category of languages; there are no native speakers. NB the
URL would still be grc.wikipedia.org !!
Thanks,
      GerardM