[Foundation-l] Usability grant

Michael Snow wikipedia at verizon.net
Thu Dec 4 03:36:53 UTC 2008

Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 4:58 AM, Gerard Meijssen
> <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hoi,
>> I had a look. It is based on templates. What templates do wonderfully is
>> create a proof of concept.
>>
> I agree. My concern is that we should not jump first into writing
> software unless a proof of concept is not possible.  We will not get
> the software right the first time, fewer people have the skills needed
> to change the software, etc.

I expect we all recognize that software is not the solution to every
problem. As far as improving the learning experience for new
contributors, I certainly hope this doesn't cause anyone to give up
working on other avenues and tackling any cultural challenges that
should be addressed.

The purpose of this grant, however, goes beyond just simplifying a
particular process, so from that perspective it's not a question of
whether software is the best way to do that. Rather, we're treating the
MediaWiki software as a critical aspect of the overall environment for
our projects, and one that can and should be improved. "Best-of-breed"
it may be, but I think it's apparent that sometimes it hinders efforts
that need help, so I consider it worthwhile to reduce the obstacles it
introduces to our environment. Indeed we have not gotten it right the
first time, which is why we have accepted this grant, as we keep trying
to get it right.
> The first priority is obtaining a good
> understanding of what works through prototyping, but we fail at that.
> The possibility of future software is used as an argument against any
> prototyping.
I believe that's the logical fallacy known as "argument from vaporware".
Just because software might change how things work in the future doesn't
mean we should avoid working on other improvements in the meantime.
Unless we know that a specific feature is in the works and will conflict
with the proposed solution, there's no reason to forbid experiments.
Otherwise, I think I'd happily start nuking unsightly infobox markup on
the theory that some future software can be counted on to automatically
generate the information from article prose. It is just prototyping for
the Semantic Web, after all.

--Michael Snow