[Foundation-l] Handholding for new articles (Was: Re: 80% of our projects are failing)

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 20:01:06 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 2:56 AM, Gerard Meijssen
<gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi,
> So if the question to any of these questions is not positive a person should
> not contribute ?
>
> I would strongly argue that when a valid subject is identified and a plain
> text of one or two paragraphs has been written we already have a winner. You
> still want wikification, you still want interwiki links, you still want
> illustrations and you still want references. We call this a stub and stubs
> are good and can be improved at a later date.
>
> I understand where you are coming from, you want to see Pallas Athena rise
> fully armoured from Zeus's head. The Greek Gods do not exist. Not all
> contributors write perfect articles in one go. Requiring Gods to participate
> will drive ordinary people away. The process of writing the perfect
> Wikipedia article is not obvious and it takes time for people to become
> comfortable with it. Some time ago I was asked to write an article on the
> English Wikipedia on imho a valid topic. I decided against it because I am
> uncomfortable with the straight jacket that is imposed on me.
>
> So the conceptual question is, how do we want what to achieve and do we want
> other people to participate ?
> Thanks,
>       GerardM

There are a range of options, going from "if they don't understand
those questions don't let them add the article", which is the most
severe response, to opening up a new window with a context specific
help page to explain what the issue is, or going to an intermediate
(more detailed) explanation page that then links on to the next step
anyways.

The point is that those are the questions that anyone should be
thinking about if they're going to add an article, whether they're a
brand new user or an experienced one.  Brand new ones obviously lack
the context and framework to know the questions and issues ahead of
time... that's why we set up a framework to help them answer the
questions.

The framework makes them aware of the questions and issues, and if
done properly helps them understand and respond with appropriate
answers.  If they really shouldn't be creating an article (it's
something that really shouldn't have an article, seriously not notable
or grossly non encyclopedic or has no references at all) then it can
gently point that out and perhaps suggest that they not do so.

Obviously anyone could hit "back" and then click yes anyways - we
can't force them to not create an article if they don't answer a
question, but if we give them a framework which lets them know what
things matter then they are more likely to get the things that matter
correct.

The question of "should the framework discourage if unprepared" is
completely separate from the question of "should there be a framework
to structure the new users page creation engagement".  I see no
downside to the latter.  The former, I know some people who will be
more happy to discourage, but I'd personally prefer to educate and let
people go ahead anyways if they chose to.

-george

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com