[Foundation-l] Usability grant

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 08:53:01 UTC 2008

Hoi,
This is great news, this makes me really happy. As I have been arguing
before, the lack of usability prevents many people from contributing to
wikis. Many of our projects are failing and, usability is a major factor in
this. Combine this with a lack of localisation for many languages, a digital
divide that prevents many demographies either by lack of infrastructure
and/or lack of skills. The great thing about usability is, that this is the
one place where it easiest for us to make a difference.

In the announcement it is said, that the experience for new contributors is
to be improved by the usability improvements funded by this grant. UNICEF
has done usability studies, giving newbies tasks to perform like creating
new articles. They have many videos and I understand that they may be
willing to share them with us for this effort. Based on their observations,
developers at UNICEF have developed a set of extensions that have proven
themselves in raising the collaboration of UNICEF wikis. These extensions
are in the WMF SVN, they are being localised in Betawiki and they have been
tested in the ExtensionTesting environment.

Marjon and Magnus have testified that MediaWiki is problematic for newbies
everywhere. Our lack of usability is hurting us and we have a self selecting
group of editors based on the ability in overcomming the problems of our
environment. Many demographics are not well represented and this leads to
bias and to the underrepresentation of the subjects these demographics have
an interest in. In the majority of our projects we are not even able to
raise a sustainable community.

With a significant grant received, it should be possible to create metrics
that measure the success of the work that we are about to do. Just receiving
the money and doing the things that seem to make sense does not cut it. In a
different thread I stated that 80% of our projects are failing. With an
improved usability, it should be possible to notice a difference. The
localisation work at Betawiki has doubled the number of languages that
provide a minimal support. Sadly we do not have any numbers how this has
affected the projects in those languages.

As the WMF has accepted this money for a targeted grant, and as Michael
indicates that the board feels strongly about this issue, I am lead to
understand that usability has been made a priority in the further
development of MediaWiki. Indeed improved usability will benefit more then
100% of the WMF projects, it will have a big impact on all the MediaWiki
projects out there, the projects by educational organisations like
Commonwealth of Learning, Kennisnet, the projects by hosting organisations
like Wikia and Wikiation, the small organisations like my "housing
community".

Given the investments in usability outside of the WMF already made, I do
urge the WMF to learn from what has already been done and to incorporate the
lessons learned, the software developed. I would love to see more
cooperation in the further development of MediaWiki with the other stake
holders in the MediaWiki software.
Thanks,
       GerardM