[Foundation-l] Moving towards a more usable MediaWiki

Ting Chen wing.philopp at gmx.de
Wed Dec 3 06:50:23 UTC 2008

Yes, indeed. If I recall right, the group started after Delphine posted
her thread "Can anyone really edit Wikipedia?" at Sep. 25.

Delphine, who is surely a veteran wikipedian, failed to edit the article
"Facebook" because she could not find the right place for her edit
through all the templates and refs. I think her example showed very good
our problem. The usability problem is not only a newbies problem, but a
general problem. I can very good understand Delphines difficulty and I
myself have more than once sitting before an article and feeling like I
am working through some other peoples code on my job.

But back to the page. As always on meta and here on the list, a topic
get hot and cools down again. But in the last time the topic usability
is coming hot quite often. After Alexandria I this is already the fifth
or sixth thread I read about this topic. So I think there is a really
common feeling in the community that the problem is pressing. Maybe we
should link that page direct on a prominant place on the start page of meta?

Ting