[Foundation-l] Moving towards a more usable MediaWiki

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 15:12:45 UTC 2008

Hoi,
There are indeed issues with the core MediaWiki software. There is existing
software that is build as an extension. The basic CreatePage extension can
easily be implemented, it does require no templates or buttons. These are
separate opportunities. Opportunities that take a bit more consideration.

When we are to learn what new functionality improves our core software, it
makes sense to first experience the results by tweaking the system with
extensions. When we are confident of the results, we can progress and
integrate it in the core.

When you consider changes to the usability, you do not fix bugs. The system
is not buggy in the sense that it works as per the specification. The issue
is that usability can only be improved with a different specification. There
will be projects who will be eager to experiment with the UNICEF extensions.
The Swahili wikipedia would be an obvious choice because they have already
localised the eight messages of the CreatePage extension.
Thanks,
      GerardM