[Foundation-l] 80% of our projects are failing

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Mon Dec 1 21:46:31 UTC 2008

Michael Finney wrote:
> Thank you for your comments. As a person who manages a small wiki project
> and two language forks from it, I found some of the comments very
> disturbing... almost frightening that such exist. Your comments re-affirm my
> confidence in the Wikimedia Foundation and its purpose.

I certainly don't see it as "frightening" that a debate over the status
of small minority languages *exists*. One always has, and continues to
exist, in many countries, with the prevailing views differing greatly
around the world. I personally come from a family whose native tongue
was Pontian Greek, a language that is quickly becoming extinct, and most
of whose users actively decided to switch to modern Greek, partly in
order to reduce ethnic strife between different "kinds" of Greeks and
make for a more unified modern nation. There are of course negative
aspects to that approach, just as there are positive and negative
aspects to any aspect of assimilation versus maintenance of differences.

-Mark