[Foundation-l] 80% of our projects are failing

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia-inc.com
Mon Dec 1 19:24:43 UTC 2008

Thomas Dalton wrote:
> It doesn't seem that anyone does...

I should add at the same time that I think that it is a good thing for
people to try to learn a relevant global language in addition to their
local language, with the choice depending upon personal context.

In many parts of the world and for many people, English is an excellent
choice of a second language.  In other parts of the world (Francophone
Africa for example), French is an excellent choice.  Chinese might be
good for some people.  Russian for others.  Hindi for others.  There are
many variables.

And I hope that Wikipedia is helpful to people both in learning about
the facts of reality (usually most comfortably done in your mother
tongue) and in learning another language.  I don't see these goals as
being in competition at all, but rather mutually reinforcing.

--Jimbo