[Foundation-l] 80% of our projects are failing

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 16:50:31 UTC 2008

GerardM - what steps need to be taken to begin testing and adapting the
UNICEF usability extensions? Where would be a good project to begin -
perhaps the Simple English Wikipedia, if that community is amenable? That
its in English might make development easier, and a more usable interface
might fit with the philosophy of the Simple wiki.

Milos - you wrote: "To be honest, I was thinking that the most useful
Wikimedian project in Serbia is English Wikipedia, but I was wrong. Serbian
Wikipedia is the most useful project, even it has ~30 times less articles
than en.wp." Can I ask how you arrived at this change of mind? It makes
sense to me that a reference in the common language of Serbia is more useful
than one that is not, but since you originally believed the opposite I'm
curious to know what data changed your mind.

Moreschi - What you advocate is basically cultural imperialism, which is a
recipe for conflict and disruption - not education. Making knowledge
available to as many people as possible is the goal; if those people don't
speak English, they should not be excluded. As others have noted, it is much
easier and much more in line with our goal to find contributors who can
build suitable references in all languages. To your point that these
references are likely to have poor quality anyway - I'm not sure that makes
sense logically. A small community does not necessarily equal poor quality
content; I imagine that the size of the community correlates with the volume
of content, and while there are less people to police quality issues there
is less content to police.

Nathan