[Foundation-l] EN Wikipedia Editing Statistics

Robert Rohde rarohde at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 05:21:37 UTC 2008

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 8:04 PM, teun spaans <teun.spaans at gmail.com> wrote:
> It is good to hear that en: is replicated. I assume this also applies to
> commons?

The database yes.  For images there is as-needed caching in Amsterdam
and Korea, but my understanding is that the only complete copies of
the file store all live in Florida.

On a related point, replicated mirrors deal well enough with acts of
God (e.g. if a meteor hits the data center in Florida), but because
everything is live mirrored it doesn't deal well if the server is
accidentally instructed to delete something.  That erroneous
instruction would be carried to all the mirrors as well, and you might
really lose something before the links could be severed.  We really
need to have periodic stored backups in addition to the replicated
mirrors.

-Robert Rohde