[Foundation-l] Wikimedia UK v2.0

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 18:33:54 UTC 2008

> I'm sorry, but that seems incredibly strange to me.  It sounds like a Monty
> Python skit.  "Why do you want to form a chapter?"  "Because that's the only
> way to protect funds."  "Why do you need funds?"  "Because if we didn't have
> funds, the chapter wouldn't serve any purpose."  "So what is the chapter
> going to do?"  "Not sure yet, we need to set up the chapter in order to
> figure something out."
>
> Good luck though, honestly.  And I hope you don't take my last paragraph as
> rude.  I know I'm exaggerating what you've said in this thread, and taking
> things a bit out of context.

Basically I'm going on faith at the moment. I have faith in the
community to make good use of the work I and others are putting in
getting the chapter set up. We haven't spent time doing anything to
verify that faith, so perhaps I'm completely wrong and we'll end up
with an empty shell that never does anything, but personally I think
that's unlikely.

I this conversation rather strange, you seem to be talking as if this
is a new idea. Plenty of other countries have chapters and make good
use of them, if you want to know what chapters can usefully do you
would be better of looking at them rather than asking us. We'll do
pretty much the same things, just in a different country.