[Foundation-l] Wikimedia UK

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 15:22:51 UTC 2008

2008/8/28 Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com>:
> Alison Wheeler announced today the impending dissolution of Wiki Educational
> Resources Ltd (Wikimedia UK). It isn't clear from her message why she
> determined to fold it instead of pass on leadership to those interested. [1]

She mentioned the company has debts incurred through the setup and no
assets to pay them off - starting from scratch may well be the best
option in that light (I don't know the extent of the debts).

> All other considerations aside, the Wikimedia community owes Alison and the
> other members of the WMUK board of directors a debt of thanks for their
> efforts over the last two years. More than anything else, its clear that
> creating and managing a charity as a volunteer in the United Kingdom is a
> difficult undertaking.

But an undertaking we, the UK community, are committed to. Discussions
regarding a new chapter are already underway.