[Foundation-l] PD-art and official "position of the WMF"

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Fri Aug 22 14:40:29 UTC 2008

Marco Chiesa wrote:

> ..and the Italian wikipedia finds itself in the awkward position
> of not being able to use "free" material hosted on commons (the
> governing body of the museums in Florence sent us a takedown
> notice some time ago)

If a takedown notice is sent in Italy, and the publisher refuses,
and the case goes to court, and the court finds that the copyright
claim was without substance, is there any punishment for the false
claim of copyright?

As far as I know, false copyright claims (also called copyfraud)
is not a crime in Sweden, so museums can send takedown notices at
will, at no legal risk to themselves.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)