[Foundation-l] The Wikimania of my dreams

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 13:35:51 UTC 2008

On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 9:27 AM, Milos Rancic <millosh at gmail.com> wrote:
> It is good to have a central Wikimania, which should move from place to place.
>
> "Major" Wikimanias may be at more or less constant places (Frankfurt,
> San Francisco, New York/Boston etc.). And this, indeed, requires
> serious preparing.
>
> But, it is always possible to make "small" Wikimanias, "auxiliary
> ones", which should be a significant local event connected to the
> global one. So, even the next Wikimania may try with a couple of such
> localized events.

A tiered distribution scheme like this is fine, so long as we make it
clear that they are all connected and that all of them form a single
"official" wikimania. Asserting that they are all connected and
interoperating is essential for each venue to secure funding and
donations, and to attract attention and attendance.

> So, requirements are:
> * Central place (Buenos Aires) should have a good Internet connection.
> * A couple of places from different parts of the world may say that
> they are willing to held "auxiliary Wikimanias"; which means to
> prepare a technical minimum.
> * All organizational teams should be technically coordinated.

This is a fine setup. Whether we have one "central" location or more
is an issue that we can refine on, but the basic idea is right.

--Andrew Whitworth