[Foundation-l] : EuroWikimania topics

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Wed Aug 13 14:17:47 UTC 2008

White Cat wrote:

>   I am trying to plan and prepare a 3day
> EuroWikimania<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/EuroWikimania>.
> While I am still negotiating an exact date the conference
> probably will be held at late January or early February.

Wikimedia Sverige, the Swedish chapter, is 1 of 3 co-organizers
of the FSCONS conference in Göteborg on October 24-26, 2008.

http://fscons.org/

FSCONS started last year as the Free Software Conference
Scandinavia, organized by the Free Software Foundation-Europe,
which has offices in Göteborg.  This year's conference has kept
the short name but dropped the long one, and is co-organized with
Creative Commons.SE and Wikimedia Sverige.

If I have any personal opinion about a "Euro Wikimania" it is that
the name Wikimania will be confused with the large international
event, and that Europe is too big to function as a region.  I
doubt that many Swedes will travel to Istanbul for a conference
that isn't global. We had better aim for one regional conference
in each corner of Europe, each covering a radius of 1000 km.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)