[Foundation-l] Arabic, a non native language

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 18:17:56 UTC 2008

Hoi,
SIL both maintains the ISO-639-3 and Ethnologue. In Ethnologue there is no
such thing as a macro language, this is specific to the standard. Both in
the iSO-639-3 and Ethnologue the word "vernacular" is not used, asserting
that all Arabic languages are vernaculars is problematic.

As to stubbornly requiring a "native" requirement, this is something where
you will find that the langcom is not in agreement. The langcom works by
full consensus, there is disagreement on this. Personally I insist that it
is abundantly clear on a meta level that a language is indeed the language
that is being considered. This means that what is in essence a dead language
that has a modern usage is to be taggedd for exactly this. It is for this
same reason that requiring a localisation in such a language is imho a
fallacy.

Then again, we are rehashing things that have been said before.

Thanks,
     GerardM

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 5:23 PM, Crazy Lover <always_yours.forever at yahoo.com