[Foundation-l] "Wikidrama" and autonomy of Wikimedia projects

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 23:17:49 UTC 2008

> Does the user have any other option than editing the smaller wiki and
> adding the Username Change request, which basically subjects the user to
> his/her IP information being revealed to additional individuals, not of
> his/her own wiki?

A trusted user on the smaller project that is also present on enwiki
could forward the request. I don't really see the problem, though. A
few checkusers on another project finding out your IP address is
hardly a serious issue. We can't always cater to people's unreasonable
paranoia (where possible, sure, but it often isn't). I don't see what
the foundation has to do with it - they could be the one to forward
the request, but so could plenty of other people.

> Scenario 2:
> A user has been banned on enwiki.  The user has "outed" psuedonymous
> individuals via his blog and threads Wikipedia Review by compiling
> information put together elsewhere on the net.  He has taken to another
> wiki and under the auspices of the local wiki's policy, has put back
> links to pages which have links to pages (sometimes several pages deep)
> which "outs" the individuals.
>
> Is this a violation of our privacy policy as it exists?  If not, how can
> we best address the needs of the local projects?  We have to assume the
> user is sincere about his project, because AGF is a core principle.  If
> he is sincere, can he not contribute in a fashion that doesn't create so
> much hardship on other contributors?

Was the banned user a checkuser? If so, then I don't see what the WMF
privacy policy has to do with it - they only had access to public
information. If they are a checkuser and have published information
gained through their checkuser privileges, then it's a pretty cut and
dry case.

As for the other project - it's common for banned users to be given a
second chance on another project. The other project can be warned by
anyone familiar with the case if they deem it necessary, there is no
need for WMF involvement. Whether or not to take action on that other
project is, of course, up to that project's community.

I really fail to see why this mailing list is being asked about these
scenarios, they seem pretty simple to me. Cary, some advice: It seems
the real issue here is that you see a problem and want to help but
feel restricted by the foundation's policy of non-interference.
Remember, you are still a member of the community and can offer advice
in that capacity. Just make it clear that it's not anything official,
and there shouldn't be a problem.