[Foundation-l] Note regarding status of privacy policy

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 22:19:56 UTC 2008

> There is a body that is full of other checkusers, who instantly take
> the side of their colleague, so there really is no point in
> complaining to it. What we need is a truly independent body run by the
> Foundation, answering only to the Foundation and not to people's
> mates.

It's normal for appeals to go to people with the same powers as the
person that made the original decision, it doesn't really work
otherwise. When you think a judge has made a mistake you appeal to a
higher court where the matter will be considered by other judges.
ArbCom is a group of checkusers, whereas the original decision was
made by a single checkuser, that's why the appeal is worthwhile. It's
much easier for one person to make a mistake than for a majority of a
group to make that mistake.