[Foundation-l] Volunteer Council - some thoughts after a discussion on Wikimania

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Mon Aug 4 19:24:01 UTC 2008

2008/8/4 effe iets anders <effeietsanders at gmail.com>:
> Hi Erik,
>
> unfortunately, due to historic growth, this foundation-l also has
> become a discussion list involving the wider movement. Moving the
> discussion to a list which has received, iirc, two posts in it's
> duration of existance will not further the discussion I'm afraid.

A fair point - but, if it's a good idea, be bold in getting people to
join! Putting it in the sitenotice on Meta for a while, for example,
should attract new subscribers. Announcing it on your blog, village
pumps and local mailing lists will as well.

Really, don't be coy about getting the word out. A social movement
depends on people sometimes stepping on a box and shouting. ;-)

> I do think this is foundation related btw, but mainly indirect :) The
> foundation could mainly benefit such a council, since it should make
> communicating with the wider community better possible then currently.

Absolutely true. But in this case, we are just one of multiple stakeholders. :-)
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation