[Foundation-l] It is high time we decided upon global Wikimedianprinciples

Philippe Beaudette philippebeaudette at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 15:13:41 UTC 2008

On Aug 4, 2008, at 8:49 AM, Dror K wrote:

> Currently we have very few global principles for the Wikimeian
> projects,
> namely the GFDL principle and maybe the NPOV principle. We have many
> recommendations listed on the Meta, which are not taken seriously in
> many projects. Wikimedia projects have grown tremendously, and in my
> opinion, it has become crucial that the list of principles governing
> all
> projects be a little more detailed. I suggest a few basic
> recommendations become obligatory

I may be hopelessly naive about this, but my general experience would
seem to suggest that there's not really a need for this, because folks
who are attracted to Wikimedia projects tend to share our (deep down)
core values.  If not, our various communities tend to push them in
that direction fairly strongly.

Attempting to impose en.wikipedia's worldview on things like this is
probably doomed to failure, in my opinion... it's almost the online
version of pushing a colonialist agenda.

Philippe