[Foundation-l] Copies of Wikipedia's articles found on Knol

Tracy Poff tracy.poff at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 00:53:15 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 8:39 PM, Mike Godwin <mgodwin at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Sure, a sufficiently transformative derivative work might give you the
> ability to create a new license with strong copyleft. But that's not
> what we've been seeing on Knol or what we've been discussing here, it
> seems to me. Instead, we've been talking about importing and exporting
> whole articles.

It is the position of Creative Commons, as I understand it, that if I
use a work which is licensed to me under the CC-BY license, I can then
license my derivative work to others under CC-BY-SA, CC-BY-NC, GFDL,
or any other license I choose that will preserve attribution of the
author of the original work--or, indeed, I can choose not to grant any
license at all to my work when distributing it. It seems to me that
you are thinking of the sharealike licenses.

See also Question 2.15 of
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Frequently_Asked_Questions

--
Tracy Poff