[Foundation-l] A contribution to numerology

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Wed Apr 30 12:12:59 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 3:50 PM, Marcus Buck <me at marcusbuck.org> wrote:
>  If Wikipedia is worth 7 billions at the moment, that would mean, every
>  article is worth (we hit 10 million articles some time ago) some 700
>  dollars. Oh my god! If I idiot wouldn't have released my articles under
>  fucking GFDL and if I instead had sold them on the free market, I could
>  be a millionaire! I should stop contributing to Wikipedia at once ;-)

The articles are worth very little, even if they weren't under the
GFDL.  The domain name is worth a lot, though not, in my opinion, $7
billion.  The $7 billion figure assumes ads could be implemented
without any costs and without traffic going down.  I say ads, traffic,
no expenses - pick two.  Facebook picked 1 and 2.  Wikipedia picked 2
and 3.  My websites picked 1 and 3.