[Foundation-l] A contribution to numerology

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 19:20:41 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 5:11 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/4/29 Milos Rancic <millosh at gmail.com>:
>

>  >  If we are talking about money, the potential value of Wikimedia is far
>  >  more than $7 billions. As an organized cultural movement in the near
>  >  future its value will be at the level of one country with 10-20
>  >  millions of inhabitants.
>

>  A lot of the problems with the perceived power of the board is that
>  Wikimedia is, both at once, a loosely-linked group of tens of
>  thousands of volunteers writing huge and popular websites full of
>  useful information, but also a small charity with about 10 staff and a
>  budget of a few million dollars to run a horribly popular website.
>  People see the first and expect the people in the second to have a
>  commensurate amount of power. When actually they're just part of the
>  herd of cats, tagged "chief cat herders" and still trying to work out
>  what constitutes a tin of tuna in this context.

This problem is also related to the positioning of the Board members.
We have an NGO and a global cultural movement. And Board members
should decide are they willing to lead NGO, global cultural movement
or both. There are know-hows for all three options. The worst choice
is the position: I want my NGO and it is very cool to have a global
cultural movement behind my NGO.