[Foundation-l] The fallacy of power

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Tue Apr 29 12:09:24 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 2:26 AM, Michael Snow <wikipedia at verizon.net> wrote:
> Samuel Klein wrote:
> > How is adding Board members with expertise more suitable than having a
>  > deeply trusted Board acquire and rely on a more broadly talented advisory
>  > board?
>  >
>  Because unlike the Board of Trustees, members of the Advisory Board do
>  not have the fiduciary obligations you so rightly emphasize. Being able
>  to bounce questions off an advisor with a financial background is not a
>  substitute for having someone who has both the expertise and the
>  fiduciary responsibility to guide the board through its oversight of
>  financial matters.

True, but an *employee* does have a fiduciary duty toward his/her
employer.  Board member is not the right position for someone "to
bounce questions off".  Expertise is a factor, but I'd say it's a weak
one, especially under the current structure where board members can't
be paid.  General intelligence, a good knowledge of one's strengths
and weaknesses, and a willingness to learn, should be enough for a
board member in the expertise department.  Strong commitment to the
founding principals of the organization should be the main factor for
selection, in my opinion.

I don't mean this to criticize Stuart, as I didn't agree with the
stringent qualifications to begin with, but I don't see where he he
fits all of the required qualifications.  If he has "an accounting or
other financial designation (i.e. CPA, CA, CFA, or other International
equivalent)", please point this out.  If he "has previously served as
a treasurer on another non-profit board (at least five years)", please
let us know.

Again, I'm not criticizing Stuart.  He may be a great board member, he
may not.  I don't really know anything about him on which to guess.
Presumably the board does, though.