[Foundation-l] Board-announcement: Board Restructuring

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Tue Apr 29 09:28:13 UTC 2008

Geoffrey Plourde wrote:

> Thats lovely for anyone not in the US. Unfortunately, any US
> chapters are on hold until ChapCom defines the terms.

There's a bit of politics here.  Some are suggesting there should
be a "European chapter" and I'm personally strongly opposed to
that idea.  In my mind, it's like asking Sweden to resign its seat
in the United Nations in favor of a single seat for the European
Union.  I'd much rather allow Pennsylvania and California a seat
each in the U.N. than resigning the Swedish one.

I think that Pennsylvania, New York and California can do a lot.
You can organize membership organizations of local wiki[pm]edians,
you can raise money and submit grant applications, you can lobby
and influence local library and school groups, you can speak to
media.  The only thing you can't do (and this is frustrating
enough) is to use the name or trademarks of the Wikimedia
Foundation.

If the WMF board later accepts statewide chapters (as I would
hope), you can apply for that status.  If it insists on a U.S.
chapter and one is formed, your statewide organization can become
a subchapter of that.  Either way, your work won't be wasted.
Great walls are made from bricks, so start making bricks.

In October 2007, we formed the membership association "WMF
Sverige" with bylaws, membership, board, registration with the
authorities, and a bank account, with the purpose of supporting
free knowledge and the projects run by the Wikimedia Foundation.
We were a supporter club and "WMF" is not a protected name.  In
December we were accepted as a chapter, and subsequently changed
our name to Wikimedia Sverige.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)