[Foundation-l] Board-announcement: Board Restructuring

Dan Rosenthal swatjester at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 02:35:02 UTC 2008

That's assuming the 2 chapters seats are elected. AFAICT nothing says
that they need to be.

You have 3 elected. 2 undefined. 4 appointed. 1 for life.

Even if both chapter seats are elected, it still does not give a
majority of elected seats. Even if both the chapter seats are
considered "community", it requires Jimmy's seat to be considered
"community" to create a community majority. Considering that Jimmy's
seat disappears if he ever decides to resign/quit, that certainly
doesn't help. It also does not address any of the issues that have
been raised as to whether Jimmy adequately can represent the community
(especially based on backlash from his various actions on en.wp over
the past year). But any discussion of Jimmy's seat is really a non
issue, because it simply disappears if Jimmy ever decides to retire
from the board.

It takes fuzzy math and stretching of facts to spin this in anyway to
be a "strengthening" of the community. The only way the community can
actually be said to be strengthened in any way here is IF the chapter
seats remain elected, and from community members. That's yet uncertain
and the process to do so undefined, and even if it were to go through,
nothing prevents the chapters from changing it in the future.

So, I think the response that the community is being screwed here is
justified.

-Dan