[Foundation-l] Board-announcement: Board Restructuring

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Mon Apr 28 21:35:31 UTC 2008

David Goodman wrote:

> 3) make plain our total repugnance for officers of the
>    foundation who talk about the people who create Wikipedia as
>    not having or deserving the right to the running of the
>    project.

The people who create Wikipedia *do* run the projects, that is,
they run Wikipedia.  What they don't run is the Foundation or its
board of trustees.  I'm surprised when I hear people on this list
suggest that the community can only get its voice heard every two
years, when we're in fact editing Wikipedia every day, including
the wiki pages that constitute its policies.  The volunteer
community also writes the software that is used.

> 4) "Self-selecting fiduciary boards" are a well established way
>    of preventing organisations from reflecting the will of their
>    actual constituency.

This was discussed already in 2003 when Jimbo set up the Wikimedia
Foundation as it now is, rather than as a "democratic" membership
organization.  At the time, the opposition was voiced most
strongly among the Germans, and one year later they founded their
"verein" (membership association), Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.,
that became the role model for how to organize a chapter.

However, still today WM-DE has only about 400 members, which is
far fewer than the volunteer community in that country.  The idea,
that all Wikipedia contributors should want to have a say in a
democratic fashion, turned out to be little more than a beautiful
dream.  There are some who want this, and they are free to join
the chapter, but they are a minority.  Shock and horror, even when
they are given the opportunity, most contributors seem happy to
have no formal influence at all.  This could be taken as an
indication that Jimbo was right in 2003. If you claim that people
feel left out on a large scale, this is something you need to
prove.  Because Germany is proof of the opposite.

Most countries have yet to organize chapters.  Nothing stops them
from doing so, as far as I know, but they don't seem to be in any
hurry.  Instead of getting themselves organized, some people cry
out on this list that the WMF board of trustees should do the work
for them.  This is a great shame and a waste of time.  Democracy
can only grow from below, never be given from above.

Board elections, volunteer councils, chapter seats, or not.  They
are only decoration. The WMF was incorporated as something else
than a membership organization.  They keep the servers running and
promote free knowledge.  I think they do a pretty good job.  But
they're not a membership organization.  If you want one, you need
to create it yourself.  Who's stopping you?

Background: I'm user:LA2.  I was present when WM-DE was founded in
Berlin in 2004, but never joined.  In 2007 I helped organize the
Swedish chapter and was elected to its board.  I'm posting to this
list as an individual.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)