[Foundation-l] Board-announcement: Board Restructuring

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Mon Apr 28 22:02:37 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 12:52 PM, Brad Patrick <bradp.wmf at gmail.com> wrote:
> It would be best for those critical of the Board (and feeling that the
>  community is the most important ideal) to remember that whether you like it
>  or not, agree with it or not, or would have selected an alternative reality
>  or not, it is still the case that the Board is that which governs the
>  Wikimedia Foundation, a US corporation, and is responsible for the ownership
>  of its assets (servers, etc.) and has a legal, fiduciary obligation to act
>  in its best interests.  The Board members are themselves obligated under the
>  law to act in the best interests of the Foundation.  That as a matter of
>  convention means giving due regard to "the community" whatever that term
>  means, but the fact that the Board allows elections to put people up for
>  Board positions in no way whatsoever gives "the community" an *entitlement*
>  to that process or results.  As is oft-repeated, WMF is not a membership
>  organization.
>
>  Within the spirit of civil discourse, to those who are feeling frustrated
>  and demanding action, I submit - "so what are you going to do about it?"  I
>  suggest you be pragmatic.  You do not have any means of grabbing the reins
>  of power from the Board, and you don't have any entitlement to anything
>  except your ability to participate in a project, if you choose, a chapter,
>  if you choose, or to speak up in some forum.  You don't have a "right" to
>  vote on anything, and the Board could just as easily have a contest than an
>  election to fill Board seats.

Florence, I believe this post goes a long way toward addressing your
surprise at the relative lack of reaction to this proposal.

Remember back when membership was taken away, and the line was that
membership was only a formality that didn't matter?  How quickly the
tune has changed.

I wonder, is Brad speaking here on behalf of the Foundation?  If not,
and the foundation intends to maintain its "common voice", I suggest
you get Brad put on moderation and/or ask him to refrain from such
insulting comments in the future.

Or am I the only one insulted by this rant?