[Foundation-l] Official Election Notice -- concerns about suffrage requirements

MinuteElectron minuteelectron at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 28 21:00:38 UTC 2008

phoebe ayers wrote:
> I know several previously very active editors, people I would consider
> core Wikimedians who know the projects as well as anyone, that happen
> to be taking a wikibreak this spring -- and this new requirement would
> disenfranchise them. I can't imagine this was your intent.
> This problem is compounded by the fact that a) April is already almost
> over, leaving people just a month to get their edits in; b) the
> editors most affected by this may not be paying attention to these
> early election notices (but will want to vote when the time comes); c)
> since we have not had this requirement in previous elections, it is
> unlikely that people will be expecting it.

April to June is also a heavy exam period in some countries, many users
who are students (which makes up a fair amount of the community) may
have issues as there time would be dedicated towards studying rather
than contributing to the various wikis. It seams unfair to restrict such
users from voting, many of whom are very active community members.

MinuteElectron.