[Foundation-l] Board-announcement: Board Restructuring

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 19:17:35 UTC 2008

The staff of this particular project is indeed working in order to
facilitate the work of the editors in the project. There is no other
reason for their role. This facilitation is extremely important, and i
do not want to appear to downgrade it. We do need some monetary and
legal and technical support and coordination, and, at our size, it
cannot be in practice done on a purely voluntary basis, but requires a
few dedicated professionals.

The board, however, are not the staff. They exists as a legally
responsible body to make the official formulation of policy--for the
benefit of the project.  The project itself is the work of the editors
(in the broad sense, including the programmers and so forth).  To the
extent they do so in accordance with the aims of the people actually
working on the project, they do it correctly., The best people to
determine this are not themselves, but those who are doing the actual
work and development.

On 4/28/08, Henning Schlottmann <h.schlottmann at gmx.net> wrote:
> Chad wrote:
>
> > In case you all have forgotten, you work for the community.
>
> Flat wrong. Both, the projects and the staff, work for the idea of free
> knowledge. The staff is not working for the editors.
>
> Ciao Henning

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.