[Foundation-l] Board-announcement: Board Restructuring

Brad Patrick bradp.wmf at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 18:43:58 UTC 2008

Thanks David. :)

I will go even further - let's take your example as a hypothetical - that
the board *is* giving the community the finger (which is a false
characterization I vehemently disagree with) but let's assume it.  So what
do you do then?  WMF exists.  Those who would consider themselves "the
community" whatever that means, do not have any legitimate power to do
anything about it, but presumably scream and vote with their time, head for
the exits, etc.  What they/you cannot do is change anything at the board
level.  Or change bylaws.  Or do anything external to WMF to cause the board
to do anything on a governance level.

Look instead at the fact that (i) the Board is expanding and determining how
additional positions will be filled and (ii) be pleased that my position has
not carried the day, and the Board is allowing community-elected and
chapter-selected seats rather than just appointing other so-called
"outsiders" with demonstrated competence at running large international
organizations.

If you think for an instant that the Board is not mindful of the thousands
of people who volunteer, you are, simply, sorely mistaken.