[Foundation-l] Board-announcement: Board Restructuring

Bryan Tong Minh bryan.tongminh at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 16:16:41 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 5:51 PM, Jason Safoutin
<jason.safoutin at wikinewsie.org> wrote:

>  Domas Mituzas
>

>   wrote:
>  >
>  >> Out of curiosity: If the entire Board and staff were put up to a
>  >> public vote
>  >> across /all/ projects (assuming good representation could be assured),
>  >> I wonder how many of them would be with the WMF at the end of the day.
>  >>
>  >
>  > Unfortunately, not all aspects of running an organization are a
>  > popularity contest.
>  >
>  >
>  Fortunately for us, the board is a popularity contest. And whether the
>  board likes it or not, we elected you. And those who were appointed have
>  the same obligation as those elected and can face the same criticism as
>  such. If we, the communities see you guys are not doing your job in the
>  best interest of Wikimedia, then we have the right to say we think you
>  guys should resign.

Doing what it best for Wikimedia is not always what is the most
popular. Thankfully at least part of the board selection process is
not a popularity contest.

[...]
>  Like it or not board, you work for us. Not for yourselves. I think this
>  is a wake up call and I think now the communities are sick of it, and
>  not going totake it anymore.

Please do not speak for the entire community. You and other people on
foundation-l may not like the way everything goes but that does not
mean that this is the opinion of the entire community.

Bryan