[Foundation-l] Board restructuring and community

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 28 13:10:21 UTC 2008

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen wrote:
> Florence Devouard wrote:
>
> <Some very good stuff>

>> There are many ideas. But only so much time available. And some much
>> energy. There are two main problems in my view.
>>
>> One is that some board members hardly every communicate with the
>> community. If these were elected community members, I would dare to say
>> that this is the responsibility of the community to make sure they elect
>> members with good communication skills. And the responsibility of the
>> community to contact the board member if they feel the communication is
>> not sufficient.
>
> I don't wish to be rude, but there seems to be a pattern emerging,
> where people joining the board are open and approachable, with good
> communication skills, but when they join it, soon forget these skills
> and clam up. As for community contacting the board to urge more
> communication, I think this what we are exactly doing here.
>

>> The second is a way to not only communicate with community, but to make
>> sure that the answer we get is really representative of what the
>> community think. And not simply the grumbles of 2-3 isolated
>> individuals. Discussion on this list provides me with good ideas and
>> allow me to feel very unpopular decisions, but it does not provide me
>> with a good and accurate measure of what the community really think
>> globally. Neither would a wikicouncil.
>
> I think the last point is very well made. However, I do think it is
> wrong to characterize what is happening now (if that is what you
> intend to do) as grumbling by isolated individuals.

No, current feedback is clearly not grumbling by isolated individuals :-)

When decisions
> coming from the board are wildly unexpected and, frankly, puzzling
> as to their motivations, it is not reasonable to be astonished that
> people are genuinely and honestly puzzled.

I am actually not astonished.

What astonishes me is the lack of reaction on the part of chapters.
I fully expected a backslash from the community, though I thought it
would be on a different substance somehow.
However, I expected the chapter members to react, if only to share
interjections such as "how are we going to decide on the representants
???". The only reaction I saw was the very negative feedback from
Lodewijk. I am *genuinely and honestly" puzzled by the near absence of
reaction. I do not know what to think of it.

> Nor is it grumbling to ask for an explanation for a puzzling and
> unexpected, out of the blue, decision, and ask for the backround
> reasoning for the same, on part of the individual board members.

Ok. I think I provided my personal reasonning.
If it was not sufficient, just tell me and I will comment further in a
few days, AFTER the other board members have commented, and WHEN it is
time to declare one is a candidate or not for the unique seat for 2008
elections.

Ant