[Foundation-l] Board restructuring and community

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 28 10:28:25 UTC 2008

effe iets anders wrote:
> [...]
> would be true to some extent, but it would highly puzzle me why the
> heck you have concluded from the new layout of the board to *not* need
> a Volunteer Council of *any* shape any more. Why you do not even want
> to encourage the research after the possibilities any more... Let me
> quote from your FAQ: "* `What does this [The restructuring of the
> board, LG] mean for the 'wikicouncil?' -    The "wikicouncil" and
> "volunteer council" were part of the board discussions about its
> restructure. At this stage, we have decided to not take action on the
> proposal to develop a Volunteer Council. (...)"
>
> I think this restructuring of the Board only shows once more why we
> need a Wikicouncil. The Board itself is apperently not able to ask
> input herself on big decisions, and this sets a very bad precedent to
> the future. Apperently the Board is in need of some kind of council
> that is, in contrary to the few community members left in the board,
> able to bring through the questions to the communities. Maybe the VC
> would not function perfectly, but from what I am seeing now, it would
> at least do a much better job, because of course this is a very sad
> day for community involvement in the Wikimedia Movement.
>
> So please, Domas, Florence, Frieda, Kat and Michael, (and maybe Jimmy
> too), let's just be fair and state your opinion. What is *your*
> thought about community involvement. Should community only be allowed
> to say something every two years? Should community only be allowed to
> say something afterwards (the perfect receipe for ranting, btw)? Do
> you think community members could be smart people who have a smart
> opinion about the topics you discuss? Do you think they might come up
> with arguments you did not think of yet?
>
> If you think so, you should start working, in one way or another, on
> some kind of platform that is able to improve your attempts to contact
> the community on major decisions. And no, I have no ready-boiled plan
> for it, but I do know that there is a catalyst out there, that could
> come up with a nice result. That catalyst consists of a group of
> dedicated people, with a wide range of views, that could maybe come up
> with something that is actually good.
>
> If you think this all is no longer needed, then please say so, then we
> know what we're up to.
>
> I know it is not customary (unfortunately) any more that single Board
> members speak up. However, in this case I find it very important not
> to hear the Boards voice any more, but the individual's voice. Because
> that is highly important to be able to choose between people in
> elections and "chapter appointments". Is it not on a short term, then
> it will be in a year, but there will be a moment, and I would like to
> know who I am dealing with here. As I said before, I am disappointed
> in you, and that means that I had a better impression of you.
>
> Regards, and looking forward to all your replies,

Well,

Point by point:

"This time by all community Board Members, who - all of them! - dit NOT
contact the community or chapters for a view! "

-> Whilst it is true that the issue was not raised on this list, I also
think there is no way you may know who I am talking to and about what.
The concept of having chapters have a say in board composition has been
boiling for many months. I know the proposition did not come out of the
blue and I know I discussed it with some community members and chapter
members in the past.
So, whilst I will accept the criticism that we ought to have discussed
that here or in other places, I will not accept the criticism that I did
not contact *anyone* for a view.

-------

"Should community only be allowed
 > to say something every two years? Should community only be allowed to
 > say something afterwards (the perfect receipe for ranting, btw)? Do
 > you think community members could be smart people who have a smart
 > opinion about the topics you discuss? Do you think they might come up
 > with arguments you did not think of yet?"

-> I think my frequent attempts to raise issues on this list are
sufficient to answer these questions.
Some of my attempts were successful, some were near flops.
http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Values&action=history
It takes a quite serious energy to keep informing and asking for
feedback when most of the time, there is little comment.

-------

"you should start working, in one way or another, on some kind of
platform that is able to improve your attempts to contact the community
on major decisions"

-> Given that I was the one to revive the wikicouncil discussion several
times in the past, I think that it is could be sufficient as an answer.
I also several times pointed out that we needed a better plateform for
discussion. And no, unfortunately, I have no secret recipe either. I
wish I have. I still like the wikicouncil idea and I hope it will happen
in the future. If not globally, wikicouncil per project might be cool.

-> On another note, we have indicated several times in the past our need
for a poll plateform. If my memory is good, Erik is working on
something. But yeah, we still have no poll plateform. Now, the question
is as to whether this is the job of the board to develop such a
plateform, or if the community could somehow participate to the effort.
I am very happy to see "reactions" today. It would be great of
"reactions" would also transform in "actions".

-> I also remember with great delights the email sent to be the
wikicommons wishlist (technical features). I was amazed and impressed.
And I invited each community to do the same. Again, a flop. We did not
receive anything. One may argue that "why would we write a wish list
when features are not implemented afterwards" ?
I would answer that communication is never easy. It takes efforts and
efforts should come from all parties. Sometimes the effort lead nowhere.
Sometimes, it goes somewhere but with delay (much delay, eg the SUL).
And sometimes it generates something wonderful.

-> A long time ago, Sj and I started the Quarto. We have received help
from many individuals and it was great working together. But let's face
it, this type of initiative can only work if enough people are
sufficiently committed to them, so that the workload is evenly
distributed. We stopped because of unsufficient human support.

-> More recently, last winter, Erik set up a fundraising blog. As far as
I could say, it was very successful. There were many posting and many
many comments. Following this path, Jay set up a staff blog where news
are announced and people have the opportunity to comment.
My main two criticisms about that blog is 1) that it is in english only,
and 2) that posting on it should go through the filter and correction of
the staff (which is why I will probably not post). But this is another
venue proposed, and if I look at the amount of comments, it has not met
much interest yet. But I am pretty sure it will over time.

-> In the past year and a half, there has been one board retreat, during
which people others than board members were invited. We also held an
advisory board meeting last summer and another is planned. There were
also various opportunities to meet face to face, in particular during
chapter meetings, where some board members made the efforts to travel
away from their home to meet editors. All these are difficult to handle
both because board members have a private life (limited time
opportunities) and it of course cost money (and is belatedly criticized
by the community), but they are very cool opportunities to discuss
things. Far beyond this very mailing list.

What else could we do ?
Surveys...
Create an island on Second Life...
Set up a forum (rather than a list)...
Re-create some committees...

etc.

There are many ideas. But only so much time available. And some much
energy. There are two main problems in my view.

One is that some board members hardly every communicate with the
community. If these were elected community members, I would dare to say
that this is the responsibility of the community to make sure they elect
members with good communication skills. And the responsibility of the
community to contact the board member if they feel the communication is
not sufficient.

The second is a way to not only communicate with community, but to make
sure that the answer we get is really representative of what the
community think. And not simply the grumbles of 2-3 isolated
individuals. Discussion on this list provides me with good ideas and
allow me to feel very unpopular decisions, but it does not provide me
with a good and accurate measure of what the community really think
globally. Neither would a wikicouncil.

Ant