[Foundation-l] Board-announcement: Board Restructuring

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 28 09:08:07 UTC 2008

Kwan Ting Chan wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 07:54 +0300, Jussi-Ville Heiskanen wrote:
>
>> I have an idle thought. If there are to be seats elected by
>> a limited circle of projects with chapters, would not the
>> easiest manner of balancing things be that people from
>> projects with chapters not be able to vote in the other
>> elections from the community. In this fashion the so called
>> "community" seats would be transformed into "chapterless
>> community seats".
>>
>> Note that this proposal has the virtue that this would not
>> disenfranchise nearly all the _individuals_ who contribute
>> to projects with chapters, as many of them contribute in
>> multiple languages, and thus may have an voting-eligble
>> account in a smaller language without chapter.
>
> No, just no.
>
> This *will* be disenfranchising all the people who contribute, some
> quite a lot, for the simple reason that they are not involved with the
> chapter in their respective country. I will argue that many contributor
> in fact _do not_ contribute in multiple language.
>
> KTC

I have to agree with KTC.
This issue was actually discussed in length with Sue when she joined the
staff. She believed that we could consider chapters represented all
editors of a given nation, whilst the Foundation would represent all the
un-represented nations. But that would suppose that all editors of a
nation actually feel (or want to be) represented by the local chapter.
This is not the case.

Ant